• Sarah Ward

Reasonable Compensation for loss or damage suffered by a Tenant

In some circumstances a Landlord of retail premises is liable to pay to the Tenant reasonable compensation for loss or damage.

When does a Landlord have to pay a retail tenant compensation?

These circumstances include (amongst others) that if the Landord

(or someone acting on the Landlord's behalf):

  • substantially inhibits the Tenant's access to the retail premises; or

  • unreasonably inhibits the flow of customers to the retail premises; or

  • unreasonably takes action that causes significant disruption to the Tenant's trading at the retail premises.

Others are listed in Section 54 of the Retail Leases Act 2003.

If you want to know whether you have a right to compensation or would like to make a claim, please contact me.

The contents of this publication is for reference purposes only. This blog post does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. If you require legal advice please contact Sarah Ward at Aitken Partners on (03) 8600 6056.

95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All